Brown Rice Crispy Squares
adapted from The UnDiet Cookbook by Meghan Telpner
Double click photo to enlarge
Forget the Marshmallow Rice Crispy bars.
Do you know what ingredients are in marshmallows?
Corn syrup, Sugar, dextrose, cornstarch modified, water, gelatin, tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, a whipping aid, flavors (artificial), colors, (artificial) blue1.
I don’t even want to get started on how bad these are for us….. YIKES!
Here’s a tasty version of our childhood treat that satisfies that sweet craving with healthy nutrients to give you lasting energy too!
- ½ cup almond butter, sunflower seed butter or cashew butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups crispy brown rice cereal or sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat groats (I tried this in photo on left above – but it takes too long. Photo on right is made with brown rice crispy cereal)
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds or other nut
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs or bend the rules and add ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the almond butter, coconut oil, honey, cacao, vanilla, and salt together.
- Once melted, stir in cereal, almonds, flax, nibs, raisins if using and coconut. Stir thoroughly until mixed
- Lightly oil a 9×12 in glass dish with coconut oil and spread the mixture out evenly. Press down with the back of spatula until firmly pressed together. Place in refrigerator or freezer until hardened (about 1 ½ hours). Cut into squares and serve.